One of the most popular aspects of rave culture is the dancing, which is supposed to help the dancers find a state of flow, which is a term for the state of mind brought by the practice of the “Flow Arts.” To put it simply, the search for “flow” is the point of a full life.
As those who use “flow toys” as Poi Balls see them, any items that inspire exploration, dance, and movement are among the keys to finding the proper state of flow, which is perfect because Flow Toys have been developed to make the most of the quest for a state of Flow.
What Exactly is a “State of Flow”?
In the practice of positive psychology, a “flow state” is basically seen the same as “being in the zone,” which means the person in question is feeling very good about an activity, and able to approach it with their complete focus, their full involvement and their full enjoyment of the activity. It’s as close to finding nirvana as most people get.
As described by anthropologists and other experts in the field, the concept of “flow” is as old as history itself. The “flow” state of mind has been a goal in societies and cultures for as much as several millennia, to the point that zen masters and ancient samurai warriors were active in the search for it.
The concept has been appropriated and updated by several modern-day groups, For example, the concept of flow has been largely accepted by pioneers in psychological studies and a lot of modern athletes. They have all accepted the idea that achieving inner peace, happiness, and excellence is the same thing as achieving a state of flow.
Where Do the Use of Poi Balls Come In?
Poi balls, which come in several forms, are currently among the key “flow toys” used by many spiritual people as part of the dancing and movement they use to bring them to the state of flow they believe they need for a fulfilling life.
The concept of Poi seems to have originated in New Zealand, with the First Nation Maori people. While both materials and methods have changed tremendously over the years, the original principal, in which lights and/or colors are swung quickly enough to seem like a blur to some and make a very attractive pattern to others.
There are actually several different types of Poi being used these days. They include Performance/Ribbon Poi, Glow Poi, and Fire Poi. The techniques used for all four are remarkably similar, so mastering one type of poi means you can usually use those same skills to practice another.
Practice Poi Balls are used for practice. While they tend to be made from a much softer material than general use poi balls, they have to be heavy and solid enough to swing properly when used in performance. Among the more popular poi balls used for practice and workouts are tennis balls at the end of a string.
Tips for Starting a Poi Ball Performance
- Step 1 – +Begin by using your main hand and just begin swinging the poi ball naturally. At this point, it doesn’t matter in which direction because you’re just starting.
- Step 2 – This is how you begin to develop your technique: if you begin to swing the ball in a forward direction, make sure your there palm is pointed downward. This will make it look as if you are pushing down on the air around the ball. On the other hand, if you are swinging the ball backward, keep your palm face up, so that it looks like you are pulling the air toward you, so it looks like you’re pulling the air toward you.
- Step 3 – As a way to increase your control over the movement and to prevent accidents, just tuck in your thumbs slightly, so they cannot be caught or tangled with the rope.
- Step 4 – Instead of focusing on the ball swinging fast, instead, try to swing it evenly. In fact, if you are thinking about a particular tune, then work on following that beat and moving the ball to that beat. Doing so may help you with the dancing or performance in the long run. Also, if the ball hits your head, the slower swings may lessen the harm to your head.
- Step 5 – After you have figured out the swing, and you decide it is nearly perfect, make sure it’s mostly vertical in nature. If the poi ball’s movement is not mostly up-and-down, then you need more work, so adjust it thusly.
Whether you are a seasoned performance veteran or you are preparing for your first festival, there is no end to the number of dance moves you can try and learn, until you become a master. If you’ve been around for a while, it’s easy to transfer the skills you already have to poi balls, so go ahead and try.
There are many online lessons available to teach you more moves, so give them a try, and you might even find your flow.
The post Stand out at Your Next Rave with Poi Balls appeared first on brazzil.
Source: https://www.brazzil.com/stand-out-at-yo ... poi-balls/